Saturday, April 27, 2019

Uphilling




A few years ago I started a brief telemark career. Really it was never going to be a career but I was hoping to add another dimension to my skiing. I wanted to maybe try side area skiing, or possibly a ski tour option.  What I really enjoyed was the ability to go uphill. What I really didn't enjoy about this new set up was falling over the handlebars, at a high velocity and getting beat up.
The one backcountry lap I did was at Pioneer, a ski ghost area just south of Crested Butte on Cement Creek. We read of Pioneer in a great book entitled Powder Ghost Towns. My wife and ski partner Kristen and I successfully located the old ski area, the first in Colorado to be served by an aerial lift and easily found the uphill trail. Prior skiers had broken the trail and the trek up was a nice walk. We were only planning on one lap and started around 1:30 and we got to the top of the trail about 45 minutes later, warmed up and ready to transition off the climbing skins and point the boards downhill. A split board snowboarder came up behind us, put his board back together and with a wave floated down the old lift line in deep, spring softened snow.  It was our turn.
The next 90 minutes ended my telemark experiment. First, you can do the math, 45 minutes up, 90 minutes down.  How does that happen?  Pick your favorite ski lift and think how long it takes to do a lap from lift line back to lift line. Most laps I can think of last 2/3 of the lap time riding the lift and the remaining 1/3 skiing down. Maybe half and half; never less time up than doing down.
Second, I have never fallen or crashed so many times on one run. I was not able to string more than two turns together in the thick, heavy, ever-increasingly cold snow before I went right over the tips of my skis. Wow, a humbling experience to say the least and my last day on tele gear.

What I have not given up is the walk up.

I love the endorphins, I love seeing the steep pitch and love watching downhill skiers from a different perspective. Fortunately many Colorado Ski Country areas have Uphill ski routes for your enjoyment.  Some of them are as follows:

If you need a change of muscle groups, perspective, or just want a good sweat consider uphill travel at your favorite Colorado Ski Country resort.  My only advice if not a telemark skier, use a All-Terrain (AT) set up which allows for free heal when going up and a locked in heel for your alpine turns on the way back down the mountain.  You will thank me when you are not headed directly for the medicine cabinet or hot tub for pain relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment